Would you like to help guide the vision of the Northend Greenway? Do you have an interest in seeing Harrisonburg become a more walkable, bikeable city? Do you have an extra 3-5 hours per week to devote to the development of our city’s green infrastructure?
The Northend Greenway seeks to expand its Steering Committee to ensure that a broad range of voices are represented in all phases of its work including project planning, design and implementation. Up to four additional members will be added by mid-September. The ability to commit time and a willingness to occasionally undertake a leadership role in discreet activities is strongly desired. Interested individuals should submit a brief letter of application by September 5th for consideration.
The Steering Committee is a working committee that takes leadership for overall vision of the Greenway, for making executive decisions, and for overseeing the work of volunteer committees and paid staff. The members of the steering committee meet once to twice per month. Most Steering Committee work is done during these meetings, however, active engagement in sub-committees is needed and encouraged. Occasionally you will be asked to work on specific projects between meetings.
The main functions of the steering committee are:
- Advisory – the Outreach and Development Coordinator will present new ideas, new projects and initiatives to the committee for advise, review, and comment. Committee members should represent the interests of identified Greenway constituency groups when commenting on these issues
- Strategic planning & brainstorming – frequently, the staff and Advisory Board will present the committee with challenges and ask for innovative solutions
- Opinion/perspective seeking – the leadership may ask steering committee members to solicit the opinions and input of other community leaders on topics
- Liaison – Steering Committee members are expected to represent the Northend Greenway in a variety of public and private forums
- Specific projects – may be assigned
How to apply or nominate: submit a brief letter of application to email@example.com
What to include? Application letters should explain the candidate’s interest in joining the Steering Committee as well as what skills, ideas and experiences the candidate would bring to the committee. Experience related to any of the following areas (but not limited to): planning, project management, fundraising, grants, education, outreach, event planning, advocacy, finance, real estate law, landscape/urban design, construction, non-profit management, and/or communications.
Application deadline: September 5th
Decision by: September 21st
For questions or additional info comment below or contact Christine Stefan at firstname.lastname@example.org.