Would you like to help guide the vision of the Northend Greenway? Do you have an interest in seeing Harrisonburg become a more walkable, bikeable city? Do you have an extra 3-5 hours per week to devote to the development of our city’s green infrastructure? The Northend Greenway would like to expand its Steering Committee to ensure that a broad range of voices are represented in all phases of its work. The Steering Committee desires to add two additional members by September 15 Interested individuals should submit a letter
of application by September 1. Application letters should describe what skills, ideas and experiences the candidate would bring to the committee. The ability to commit time and a willingness to occasionally undertake a leadership role in discreet activities is strongly desired. Experience related to any of the following areas: planning, fundraising, public education and outreach, and local political action are also beneficial. The Steering Committee is a working committee that takes leadership for coordinating the work of volunteer and paid staff. The members of the steering committee meet every other week. Most steering committee work is done during these meetings, however, active engagement in sub-committees is needed and encouraged. Occasionally you will be asked to work on specific projects between meetings.
The main functions of the steering committee are:
• Advisory – the Outreach and Development Coordinator will present new ideas, new projects and initiatives to the committee for advise, review, and comment. Committee members should represent the interests of identified Greenway constituency groups when commenting on these issues
• Brainstorming – frequently, the committee will be presented with challenges and asked to help develop innovative solutions.
• Opinion/perspective seeking – steering committee members may be asked to solicit the opinions and input of other community leaders on specific topics.
• Liaison – steering committee members are expected to represent the Northend Greenway in a wide variety of public and private forums.
• Specific projects – may be assigned.